Sunday, November 14, 2010

Soupy Excellence

Okay, so this is a soup that I've made several times...it's really great, and it makes the house smell wonderful. My mom and I found this in a magazine a few years ago...it's one of my favorite things to make if I want people to think I'm good at cooking, even though it's really easy...but here it is!

Mediterranean Chickpea, Tomato and Pasta Soup

Ingredients
2 tsp. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups water
1 16-ounce can (fat-free, less-sodium) chicken broth (I normally use regular broth, but this is supposed to be healty)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup uncooked ditalini (very short, tube-shaped macaroni)
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley (I never use this...)

Directions
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 22 minutes

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté three minutes or until tender. Add the water and next six ingredients (chicken broth, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, chickpeas and tomatoes). Bring the mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pasta and cook nine minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in parsley.

1 comment: