Since I'm on break, I've had a little bit of time to do some cooking. We've decided to try and stick to seasonal vegetables, which means that for the winter we're eating a lot of root veggies. We're also trying to eat healthier, which means that Isaac is making his first real foray into fish. It's a little scary, since I've never really cooked fish before...but Isaac's never really eaten fish before, so my "expertise" wins. Here's what I made tonight! (ps--it turned out awesome and it was really easy)
Mustard Roasted Salmon (originally posted here)
Ingredients
- 1 1/4 pound wild salmon, skin removed, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
Directions
In a small bowl, combine mustard, maple syrup, garlic and lemon juice. After the 10 minutes of cooking, brush salmon with mixture and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through.

I cooked my salmon in a Pyrex, since I didn't have any parchment paper. It turned out alright, but the skin kind of got stuck to the dish. I'm sure it'll come off after a good soak.

The salmon didn't seem to care that I used 2 tablespoons of lemon juice rather than "juice of 1/2 a lemon"
Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips, and Brussels Sprouts (originally posted here)
Ingredients
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium carrots (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1 1/2-inch thick circles
- 1 1/2 cups Brussels sprouts (about 1/2 pound), halved
- 4 cups red bliss potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 medium parsnips (about1 pound), cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 cup sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease an 11 by 17-inch baking sheet pan with extra-virgin olive oil. Place vegetables in baking sheet and add the dried herbs, salt and pepper. Toss well, evenly coating all the vegetables with the seasonings and oil. Add more oil if the vegetables seem dry.
Spread the vegetables evenly on a large baking sheet. Place on middle rack in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

- I didn't quite follow the directions as far as amounts go...I used 3 parsnips, 3 carrots, 4 red potatoes, roughly 15 Brussels sprouts, and 1 sweet potato.
All cut up! Isaac got me a really nice 8" chef's knife for Christmas, so I made quick work of all of the vegetables.
All of the spices and the olive oil. Despite my lack of sea salt and fresh ground pepper, the vegetables tasted fine.
Everyone in the baking pan, ready to go in the oven! I found that mixing the olive oil and spices in a separate bowl and then tossing it into the vegetables made things pretty easy.
- Everything! I had some mandarin oranges, too. And a huge glass of milk. I was very happy.
I am waiting for you to have your own cooking show. Erica, everything look so good and I can only imagine delicious. I've never made Salmon or some of the other dishes you have made because Grandpa is pretty much a farm boy at heart and likes his meat and potatoes. Of course we eat lots of pasta dishes and casseroles. I've heard that cooking is a great stress releaver so my granddaughter you just cook your little heart out and be happy.
ReplyDelete